Monday, July 2, 2012

Overnight French Toast Bake

Are you looking for something yummy and easy to make for your family breakfast on the 4th this week?  This just might be what you're looking for.  I saw this recipe on Pinterest (again trying to conquer trying all those things on my "recipes to try" board) and knew I had to try it.  I loved how the description said "love french toast but hate standing and flipping bread and never getting to sit down with your family".....Umm...yes.  They read my mind, in fact.   So we tried this for Father's Day this year.  My husband gushed about how delicious it was.  He even compared it to Kneaders french toast (quite a compliment as those of you in the West might know).   And I loved that it only took a few minutes the night before and then I popped in the fridge overnight and simply put it in the oven to bake in the morning.  Now that's my kind of fancy breakfast.   

Next time around I think I'll definitely cut the crusts off the bread as they got a teeny bit hard after sitting for a few minutes after being served.  I also loved the texas toast with it but might venture out and get a loaf of cinnamon bread next time and cut it nice and thick.  But if you make it as written you won't be disappointed.

Overnight French Toast Bake from Rach's Blog

Ingredient Checklist
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup brown sugar
1 loaf Texas toast
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Powdered sugar for sprinkling

Directions
1. Melt butter in microwave & add brown sugar....stir till mixed.
2. Pour butter/sugar mix into bottom of 9 x 13 pan....spread evenly to cover bottom of pan
3. Beat eggs, milk, & vanilla and add 1 T powdered sugar to egg mixture
4. Lay single layer of Texas Toast in pan
5. Spoon 1/2 of egg mixture on bread layer.  Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on bread before next layer
6. Add 2nd layer of Texas Toast
7. Spoon on remaining egg mixture.  Spread a thin layer of butter on bread.  Sprinkle with white sugar and cinnamon.  
8. Cover & chill in fridge overnight
9. Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar
11. Serve with warm maple syrup (I don't do the syrup part)

Tips:  The brown sugar and butter carmelizes at the bottom of the pan so serve bottomside up.  I also overbaked it a bit (because it hadn't specified covered or not and I realized it needed to be uncovered halfway through) and that part became hard after sitting out--so just don't overbake.  

No comments: