Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake

You know when you have to fill out those "Get to Know You" questionnaires every so often?  And when it asks your favorite dessert? I can never think of one on the spot like that. My absolute favorite dessert?  The one that I could eat every day of the year if that was even possible.  With so many delicious front runners how's a girl to decide?  Well---after making this dessert I am reminded that Strawberry Shortcake is the answer.  Always.  And what a perfect, fresh summer dessert.  

I am a little unusual in that I don't like mine made with angel food cake.  I LOVE it made with a nice white or yellow cake.  And it must be topped with homemade whipped cream.  Must. (Sorry to all those Cool Whip lovers out there) 

So the other night I had a pint of strawberries that needed to be used and on a whim decided to whip up Strawberry shortcake.  I went in search and found a moist, decadent,flavorful white cake that I will use from here on out to make this dessert.  It complemented the strawberries and whip cream perfectly.  It was slightly dense with just the right amount of buttery richness.   My mouth is salivating just remembering it.  And it was super simple to throw together as it's one of those recipes for which you likely have all the ingredients on hand already. 

Strawberry Shortcake Cake from Allrecipes

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2.  In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
3.  Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
4.  Top with fresh cut strawberries and whipped cream


No comments: