Friday, January 6, 2012

Brown Sugar Muffins

How could a recipe with "brown sugar" in the title be bad?  My mom used to make these growing up as a side to go with our Sunday dinner.  I loved them then and I still love them now!  There are times when I'm scrambling to come up with a side to a nice, home cooked meal and these have become an old standby.  But not because there isn't anything better to make...but because they are SO delicious.  They have a nice, subtle buttery and brown sugar flavor.  They are soft and crumble perfectly. I love to sprinkle some extra brown sugar on top to create a slightly crunchy top layer.  Enjoy!


Brown Sugar Muffins from Barbs

1 C brown sugar
½ C margarine (I use butter)
1 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
1 egg
1 tsp soda dissolved in 1 C milk
pinch of salt

Cream sugar and butter. Add other ingredients as follows: beaten egg, milk, flour. Don’t stir too much. Sprinkle brown sugar on tops before baking. Bake in muffin tins at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Yields 1-2 dozen muffins (depending how full you fill the muffins)...I usually get about 18 muffins. 

Tip: I made them yesterday and did 1 C white flour and 1 C whole wheat flour and I thought they tasted even better--Bret thought they were better with all white flour. But for a healthier version, the wheat flour is really good, too!

24 Servings:   Calories: 108   Carbs: 17   Fat: 4   Protein: 8

1 comment:

Marisa said...

They were still delicious though!

Bret