Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Crockpot Lemon Herb Chicken

This is one of those easy recipes that I find myself making when I need to go grocery shopping.  I always have the ingredients on hand and my family always gobbles it up.  Double win! You can literally dump it into the crock pot in the morning and have a nice, hot meal at dinnertime. I try to not cook very much with "cream of" anything--but this is one of  those old standby recipes that we still love.  The chicken gets really moist as it simmers in the crock pot with a subtle lemon flavor.  You can modify the lemon herb seasoning to make it be as weak or as strong as you like.  The sauce is then served over rice. Also--make sure you use the "McCormick" brand of lemon herb seasoning.  We've tried different brands and it just doesn't turn out the same.

Lemon Herb Chicken from Melissa Bowen

4 chicken breasts (I like to use chicken tenders--they're extra moist)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2- 3/4 Tablespoon "McCormick" lemon herb seasoning
1/4 C butter

Melt butter and add to soup and seasoning mix.  Pour half into crock pot.  Add chicken and pour over remaining soup mixture.  Cook 5 hours on LOW in crock pot.  Serve over rice.  

Tips: I use the 98% fat free cream of chicken with no difference in taste.  I've also eliminated the butter for a lower fat version and still had it turn out great.  It might make the chicken slightly less moist but not too noticeably, though.  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this - maybe marinate the chicken in buttermilk 1st (makes it incredibly moist in any recipe!), and then eliminate the butter...can't wait to try it!

Marisa said...

What a great idea, Penny! I've never tried that before. But I definitely will now!! Thanks for the tip!!! I hope you like this recipe :).

Kelly T, that's me! said...

I just love Marisa and everything about her. This is SO yummy! My family consists of eight mouths who all have their own idea of how things should be for dinner. This is one of those rare recipes that makes it into the bellies of ALL 8 without complaint! Woohoo!

dnA said...

OK, I have McCormick's Lemon Pepper with Herbs- is this the same thing you use?

Marisa said...

Yes! McCormick or schilling are the best!

MsMoople said...

I am in the UK. With what can I substitute the spice mix? Any ingredients on it?

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this����

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Can I use chicken stock

Marisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marisa said...

Great question! Instead of the cream of chicken? Sadly, I don't think that would yield the same results.