Friday, December 30, 2011

Maple Bars

I am so excited to blog about this dessert!  Not only because I haven't posted a dessert for awhile, but also because it is such a delicious throwback to my childhood.  My grandma used to make these bars all the time.  And then my own mom made them a lot when I was young.  Last week I gave a lesson in church about our heritage and wanted to share a recipe that was part of my family.  And so I made these to share.  They are so phenomenal!  Now don't be scared away by the idea of boiling raisins.  All it does it make the raisins soft--like melt-in-your-mouth soft.  There is also a very slight cinnamon hint that pairs perfectly with the combo of the moist raisins and chocolate chips in this bar.  And the maple glaze is very subtle and creates such a fantastic topping to this soft, comfort food!  And they're the perfect dessert in that they're sweet and addicting--but not too rich.  I could probably eat a whole pan of them myself if they were calorie-free. But you have my premission to pretend they are!

Maple Bars from Barbs

Boil for 10 minutes:
1 1/2 C raisins
2 C water
Cool mixture and then add 1 1/2 tsp soda

In a separate bowl; Cream together:
1 C butter
1 1/2 C sugar
Then add 2 eggs and mix well

In a separate bowl from above mixture, sift:
3 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
Then add dry mixture to creamed mixture. Add raisins.  Add 1 c chocolate chips.

Spread into two greased 9x13 pans.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or when center comes out clean with a toothpick. Watch them closely at the end as they can overbake quickly.

Maple Glaze
1/4 C butter
1 C brown sugar
4 T water
Bring mixture to a boil.  Remove and cool.  Add enough powdered sugar to make a glaze (I did about 1/3 to 1/2 cup).  Spread on bars while still quite warm.  Cut when cool.

No comments: