Friday, October 3, 2008

Pioneer Woman Chocolate Sheet Cake

I had some buttermilk that I wanted to use up today and so I decided to make my mom's delicious Texas sheet cake that calls for buttermilk. However, I couldn't get ahold of her (sorry Mom, I know I wrote the recipe somewhere so I was asking for it again) and so I decided to try Pioneer Woman's version. I was SOOO not disappointed. It was extra moist and so decadent. It seemed a lot more soft and almost melt-in-your-mouth than our usual recipe.

Pioneer Woman Chocolate Sheet Cake

Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 C flour
2 C sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinammon
(this is a variation from her recipe...my normal recipe calls for this and I think it adds an extra yummy flavor to it)

In a saucepan, melt:
2 sticks butter
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa. Stir together.
Add 1 C boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour, and stir lightly to cool.

In measuring cup, pour 1/2 C buttermilk.
Add:
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

While cake is baking, make icing:
Chop 1/2 C pecans finely (I omitted this. Nuts...blech)
Melt 1 3/4 sticks butter in a saucepan.
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat.
Add:
6 T Milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb minus 1/2 C powdered sugar

Stir together.
Add pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.

And in the words of Pioneer Woman, "Cut into squares, eat, and totally wig out over the fact that you've just made the best chocolate sheet cake. Ever." Amen!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Every time I see a recipe for sheet cake I tell myself I need to make it. Because, really, especially after reading that description, I really do need to make that. It looks great.

Erin said...

Oh, that pictures is just mouth watering. Yum!