Friday, January 20, 2012

String Beans with Garlic and Oil

My husband LOVES garlic and so I knew I had to try this recipe.  The sauteed garlic and olive oil adds such a nice depth of flavor to the green beans.  I also think it's important that fresh green beans be seasoned just right with enough salt--we all know how bland they can be otherwise.  So I did a few taste tests to make sure the seasoning was just right.  I love having different, healthy sides to add to our standard repertoire and this one is so fresh, flavorful, and simple.  Could it get any better than that? 

String Beans with Garlic and Oil from Skinnytaste
  • 1 lb fresh string beans, washed, ends trimmed
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
  • salt and fresh pepper
Bring a large saucepan filled with 1 inch of water to a boil. Lower a steamer basket filled with the green beans into it, tightly cover the pan, and steam for 4-5 minutes (don't overcook), until the beans are tender crisp. Drain.

In a saute pan heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook until golden. Add string beans, salt and fresh pepper to taste and toss well.

Tips: I used the organic frozen green beans from Costco for this recipe and they turned out really well--so go that route if you don't have fresh ones on hand

No comments: