Thursday, January 26, 2012

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

Moist, delicious, perfectly spiced pumpkin bread.  It doesn't get any better, in my opinion.  I know I've mentioned in the past about my love affair with pumpkin. I think this bread would even be a hit with those who don't quite share the same level of pumpkin love that I do.  I've tried a few different pumpkin bread recipes and this is by far our very favorite.  I always lighten it up a bit by doing 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce.  But it is phenomenal either way.  My family always gobbles this bread up so quickly!  I love how soft it is and the spices blend together so well--no spice overwhelms the other so it's a perfect marriage.  Enjoy!

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread adapted from Allrecipes

1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 C vegetables oil (or 1/2 C and 1/2 C applesauce)
2/3 C water
2 cups white sugar
1 C light brown sugar
3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmet
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.  
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugars until well blended.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.  Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.  Pour into the prepared pans.
3. Bake for about 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven.  Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  

No comments: