Friday, March 5, 2010

Oatmeal Pancake Mix

I know I've made mention before of my little guy's obsession with pancakes and french toast.  If he had his way he'd eat pancakes at every meal.  One of my friends told me the other day about this great whole wheat pancake mix found in supermarkets here.  My son (and daughter) both loved them--even I was shocked when he inhaled ten pancakes one morning!  The only problem with the mix was that it's pricey. 

So I went on a search for a better alternative.  I remember seeing these pancakes over on Melanie's site and decided to give them a try.   They appealed to me because it has the perks of a boxed mix without the price and has the homemade taste. Oh wow!!! They are really, really yummy.  And a huge perk is that they're healthy.  I love when my kids get whole grains for breakfast.  I can tell such a huge difference in their mood and energy level throughout the morning. 

And my favorite part is that I now have days of pancakes that I can easily whip up with the large mix this recipe makes. 

Oatmeal Pancake Mix from My Kitchen Cafe

*Makes 10 cups of dry mix

3 1/2 cups rolled (quick) oats
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixer with a paddle (or by hand). With mixer on slow speed (or gently by hand), drizzle the vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running. When all the oil has been added, stop the mixer and squeeze a clump of mix in your hand. If it stays together, it is just right. If it is still crumbly, add another tablespoon of oil at a time until the consistency is correct (I've never had to add additional oil). Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer.

To make the pancakes: whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup buttermilk (a combination of half plain yogurt and half milk will also work), and 1 egg. The mixture may seem thin at first but the oats will soak up the milk as it stands while the griddle preheats. Heat a griddle and drop the batter onto it. When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface and don't break, turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side.
*Melanie said that 1 cup of mix will make about 6-7 4-inch pancakes.  I was able to get about 12.

Recipe Source: Adapted from King Arthur Flour The Baker's Companion

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Marisa - so glad you like this mix. I use it no less than four times a week...so I'm glad that others are enjoying it, too!

Brandon and Lindsey B said...

Oh wow we are definitely going to make these!

Lindsey