Friday, April 15, 2011

Moist Orange Carrot Cake

This fabulously moist and delicious cake was brought to us after I had my baby a few months ago.  We were graciously brought a meal by a woman from our church and she followed it with this cake.  My husband was actually out of town and she brought us a large plate with a few slices.  By the time he got home the cake had been devoured.....by me.  I'd like to say that my kids were the culprits but I just could not contain myself.  For months I couldn't eat sweets without getting sick or having outrageous heartburn while being pregnant and so I majorly indulged on this sweet dessert.  I could not believe how incredibly moist and flavorful it was.  I also thought I detected the texture of coconut in it--and I loved it. 

So I ran into the woman who had brought us the cake last week and shamelessly asked if she'd share the recipe with me.  I was so surprised when she said that the secret ingredient to it's moistness is the can of mandarin oranges in it.  I never would've guessed that as I really didn't detect orange in it.  I just thought it was a straight-up carrot cake.  And a REALLY moist, awesome one at that. I knew I had to get this recipe so that I could make it again.  And share it. 

Orange Carrot Cake from Carol Hallen

3 C flour
2 C sugar
1 C coconut
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 C grated carrots (4 carrots)
1 1/4 C oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1 (11 oz) mandarin oranges & juice
3 eggs

Blend all dry ingredients together.  Add the liquid ingredients and mix for about 2 minutes.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 F or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool and frost with cream cheese frosting. 

Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T. melted margarine or butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 C powdered sugar
1/2-1 C nuts, if desired

Beat well and frost cake.  Refrigerate. 

2 comments:

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

Looks delicious. Sounds like a good combination of flavors.

Mumbug said...

I made this recipe yesterday and it was a real hit! Mine took about 15 minutes longer to fully bake in the oven and I turned the heat down slighly for the last 10 mins. Super moist and delicious. I'll definitely be making this a regular thing.