Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cheesy Chicken Lasagna


When I started this blog a couple of years ago, I was posting recipes and no pics. So I've tried to go back and update those recipes with pictures. This is one of those that I posted way back when that deserves a picture. When my husband and I got married this was the first meal I made him! I laugh now at how incredibly long it took me to make it because I hadn't quite figured out the art of timing and getting everything on the table at the same time. Nonetheless, this meal was a hit and continues to be a favorite around our house. It might sound a bit unusual, but the flavors meld together perfectly and make for one yummy, cheesy, delicious variation on lasagna.

Cheesy Chicken Lasagna from Barbs (my mom)

2 cans (12 oz) evaporated milk (not fat-free)
1 (1 oz) pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
3 C. cubed, cooked, chicken
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (16oz) lasagna noodles, cooked
1 1/2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, grated

Cook the chicken and noodles first at the same time. Once noodles are done--rinse in cold water and set aside (it keeps them from sticking together). Combine evaporated milk (don't use fat-free version) and Ranch dressing in a 3 quart heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently until dry ingredients are dissolved. Stir in chicken and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes (don't do any less), stirring frequently. Layer half of lasagna noodles, poultry sauce, and cheese in well-buttered 9x13 pan. Repeat layers again. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

Tips: When rinsing the needles, I also like to straighten them out in the colander so that as they sit there it makes it easier to layer them without the noodles all bent (if that makes sense). For extra cheesiness, increase both cheese by 1/2 cup.

3 comments:

Amy said...

this looks really yummy. I'm going to have to try it.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm glad you added a picture! It looks so cheesy delicious!

Unknown said...

Love how this looks! I am loving your blog too! I can't wait to try this