Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Six Can Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I was a little bit leery that a tortilla soup that was literally made by throwing six cans of ingredients together could be good. But oh how wrong I was! Not only is this the easiest meal I've made in a long time (a huge, huge plus in my book) but it was also awesome! I only doctored it up a little bit by adding a couple of spices. It was also really filling. The flavors are even better on the second day when they have had a chance to marry better (like a lot of mexican meals). And might I also add that I'm also usually not a huge fan of canned chicken but I added it to stick with the "easy" theme. It honestly tasted so good in it! I used the Costco Kirkland brand--which seems to be really high quality. I'm off to eat the leftovers--yum! This is one soup that you could play around with and change to your own liking by adding more ingredients, too.

Six Can Chicken Tortilla Soup adapted from Allrecipes

1 (15oz) can whole kernal corn, drained
1 (14.5oz) can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (10oz) can chunk chicken
1 (15oz) can black beans, drained
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 tsp lime
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

1. Open the cans of corn, chicken broth, cream of chicken, chicken, black beans, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Pour everything into a large saucepan or stock pot. Add spices and lime juice. Simmer over medium heat until chicken is heated through. Top with cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips or chips.

**I just cut some corn tortillas into strips and cooked then for about 10 minutes in the oven and made my own tortilla strips. They tasted awesome with it!

Serves: 8 ; Weight Watchers Points+: 4

Calories: 133   Carbs: 19   Fat: 2   Protein: 12

3 comments:

priscilla joy said...

thanks Melissa for this recipe, I am going to make it next week. it is getting cold over here and soup is something my Dad loves!

Carolina HeartStrings said...

Love this! Sharing on our fb page! from Alessa & Tammie @ www.CarolinaHeartStrings.com

itzjewely said...

Make something similar .. Mine is chicken broth, 2 cans dark red kidney beans, can of ranch beans, 2 can of corn , can on mild rotel diced tomatoes, a pack of ranch dressing mix, And a pound of ground meat ( browned ) Throw in crock pot or cook on stove... delicious!!!!