Friday, November 28, 2008

Feather-Light Overnight Rolls

I am a major carb lover! I LOVE homemade breads and rolls more than dessert! My husband was laughing that I was looking forward to the homemade rolls at Thanksgiving almost more than anything else. I know, I know...it's a little sad. You might wonder how I could look forward to that more than pies and turkey and all the other awesome Thanksgiving fare. But I've been trying to lose some weight and gave myself that one "free" day to eat whatever I wanted and I definitely had more than my share of rolls. I just couldn't stop myself. This recipe is seriously one of the best ones I've ever had! They are heavenly! They are really, really light and almost just melt in your mouth. Another huge plus is how easy they are to make--and pretty indestructable. I used to be so intimidated by making rolls and this was the first recipe I tried many years ago. I seriously forgot to add the yeast to it! I had mixed it all together and was about to put it in the fridge when I saw the yeast still sitting on the counter. So I added it rather haphazardly to the dough and they still turned out perfectly. So if you've never made rolls--give this easy, YUMMY recipe a try!

Feather-Light Overnight Rolls from "The Essential Mormon Cookbook"

1 C water
1 C butter (2 sticks
3/4 C sugar
2 tsp salt
2 (.25 oz) packages yeast
1/2 C warm water
4 eggs, beaten
7 1/2 C flour
Butter for spreading on dough

In a 6-qt pan bring the 1 C water to a boil. Add the 1 C butter, sugar, and salt. Remove from heat. Add the 1 cup cold water. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C warm watter (I also add 1/2 tsp sugar on top of year...yeast is ready when it double in size). When first mixture is lukewarm, add yeast mixture and beaten eggs (the trick to good rolls is to REALLY beat the eggs good beforehand). Stir briefly. Add flour and stir together. Cover pan with lid and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roll out, divide dough in thirds (you can see where I scored it into thirds with the knife...I can't eyeball it or one batch is always a lot bigger than the other....I'm mathematically challenged).
Lightly flour surface of bread board. Roll each third out in a large circle and 1/2-inch thick. Spread dough lightly with butter.
Cut dough into wedges (12 wedges) And roll each up, beginning at the wide end



to form a crescent shape

Place on greased baking sheet (about 12 rolls per sheet). Let rise about 4 hours.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Makes 3-4 dozen rolls.

***I often do these ahead of time. I freeze after the dough has been shaped into crescent rolls and placed on the cookie sheet--just put the whole sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, put into plastic freezer bags until ready to use. To use, return to cookie sheets and let rise about 6 hours or until light.

2 comments:

Andrea Weaver said...

Yummm!! I am definitely going to try these. I need to visit your blog daily :)

Stephanie said...

There is nothing more comforting than the smell and taste of fresh, warm, delicious carbs. MM!