Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Applesauce Cookies


I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend. Ours was great here. I officially entered the "adult world" (I guess having two kids and a mortage might count for something, too) on Saturday when I turned 30 :-)--so it was a fun, celebrating weekend.

Anyways--on to the food. These are some of my favorite cookies that my mom used to make when I was growing up. They are really soft and a little cakey and have a great, subtle flavor of spices mixed with the applesauce. I love making them with chocolate chips! They aren't so overly sweet and so you can eat quite a few without feeling on a sugar high. I love that these are also a kind of cookie that I always have the ingredients for in my pantry! I made these to take to a family function on Sunday and had forgotten have delicious, soft, and yummy they are.

Applesauce Cookies from Barbs (aka my mom)

1/2 C shortening
1 C granulated sugar
1 egg
2 C flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 C applesauce

Cream everything except applesauce and soda. Put them in a separate bowl and mix--add to rest. Add raisins, nuts, or chocolate chips. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.

1 comment:

Barbara Bakes said...

Applesauce cookies were almost a staple growing up. I'll have to give your version a try!