Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hawaiian Dip with Fruit Kebabs



What a week it's been.  It feels like I'm barely keeping my head above water right now.  Let me just state yet again--I hate having to sell a house right now. So as a good distraction, I wanted to post this fun recipe.  I made it for my little guy's birthday party.  I had spent way too much time making his birthday cake and so I decided to go more low key on the food.  We went the semi-homemade route and ordered in pizza and then I made some yummy breadsticks and tried this dip with kebabs.  I was not disappointed.  They were the perfect compliment to the pizza and breadsticks.  The dip was really light and refreshing.  I loved the combo of the vanilla flavor with the pineapple and coconut.  This would be a great, fun, different thing to serve up at some upcoming holiday parties. I know it's not the "traditional" kind of holiday dip, but I think it would be just a great way to shake it up and add something really delicious and new to your ensemble.

Hawaiian Dip with Fruit Kebabs from "The Pampered Chef; All the Best"

Dip:
3/4 C milk
1/2 C fat free sour cream
1 pkg (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding (fat free/sugar free for WW Points+)
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/2 C sweetened flaked coconut, toasted, divided
1 lime

Kebabs:
6-8 cups assorted fruits such as apples, bananas, and pineapple, cut into 1-inch chunks, cantaloupe and honeydew melon bals and whole strawberries and grapes

1. For dip, combine milk, sour cream and pudding mix; whisk until smooth.

2. Stir in pineapple with juice and 1/3 C of the coconut.  Zest lime to measure 1 tsp zest.  Juice lime to measure 1 tsp juice.  Stir lim zest and juice into dip.  Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

3. For kebabs, alternately threat fruit onto twenty-four 6-inch wooden skewers.  Spoon dip into serving bowl; sprinkle with remaining coconut.  Serve with kebabs

Tips: To toast coconut, preheat oven to 350F. Spread coconut onto pan.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown; cool completely.

Dip: Serves 8; Weight Watchers Points+: 2

1 comment:

Barbara Bakes said...

This looks so refreshing and delicious!