Friday, October 7, 2011

Great Spinach Salad

I had some friends over for a playdate a couple of days ago. We've been trying to get together more regularly lately and it's given us all a chance to make some adult food for lunch if you're hosting it. I love this salad and couldn't wait for an excuse to make it! I've seen and tasted many variations of the recipe, but this version I got from my sister is the best one I've tasted. I LOVE the dressing. It goes perfectly with the mushrooms (which I usually don't like...but do in this), red onions, bacon, and cheese. I took this to a friend's for dinner once and my friend was begging for the recipe because her husband never eats anything green and he went back for four helpings of this!
Spinach Salad from Ann

1/2 pkg. spinach (whole small leaf)
1/2 head iceberg lettuce (or buy "just lettuce" in a bag and use whole bag)
1 C. fresh sliced mushrooms
1 lb. bacon, cooked & crumbled (I use already cooked bacon & crumble it)
2 C. grated Swiss cheese
1/4-1/2 sliced purple onion
Combine all of above ingredients. Add dressing and toss just before serving (I've done it in advance before and it gets too soggy).

Dressing
1/3 C white vinegar
1/3 C sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 C oil
3/4 T grated onion
1/3 tsp dry mustard
Put all of the above in a blender and blend. Add 1 T poppy seeds and blend lightly. If I'm making this as an extra big salad to serve to many people, I'll double the dressing. Put about half the dressing on to begin with and then see how much more you need.

*As a variation this time, I used a new trick my friend told me about. I used cottage cheese instead of the swiss cheese to cut down on a little fat. I know it sounds weird--but it actually was really good. Just make sure to put the cottage cheese in a colander beforehand and rinse it really well.

No comments: