Friday, October 14, 2011

Zucchini 'N' Carrot Coins

Let me just start out by saying that I am not a huge fan of zucchini.  I like it in bread...but that's about it.  Until now!  Oh my.  This side dish was SO fabulous!  And if I am saying something with zucchini in it is great... Well...enough said. 

We have a really cool food co-op around here called Bountiful Baskets that my mom's friend turned us on to.  The thing I love about it is that I get veggies and fruits that I might not normally buy and it's forced me to branch out and find creative and yummy recipes to use up the produce.  This is how I came upon the zucchini in my kitchen.  I used up a few of them making zucchini banana bread and decided to use one of them trying to find a healthy side dish.  This did not disappoint.  The carrots were perfectly cooked and the onion added just the right extra flavor.  And the zucchini was amazing in it!  All three veggies combined were a perfect balance.  I had about three helpings of it at dinner and then finished them off the next day for lunch.  And it even tasted better the second day--which is quite a feat for re-cooked veggies, I think.   I will definitely be making this dish again and again.  I'm pretty sure it's one of my new favorite side dishes.  How's that for an endorsement from someone who doesn't like zucchini (anymore).

Zucchini 'N' Carrot Coins adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 pound carrots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large skillet, saute carrots in butter for 4-5 minutes. Add the onion; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender

Tip: To make it even healthier, I think I may omit the butter next time and just use butter spray.  I'll keep you posted if it tastes as good

Serves 6: Weight Watchers Points+: 0
(it becomes 1 point+ at 5 servings...omit the butter and it's 0 at any serving)

No comments: