Sunday, June 19, 2011

Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Sesame Dipping Sauce

I have been trying to shake up our menu lately with a protein besides chicken.  So I went on the search for something that was healthy (and not chicken) and was so excited when I came across these.  These. Are. So. AMAZING!  I made these for my family and we couldn't stop drooling over them and eating every last one.  My kids and husband were begging for more long after they were gone.  It was the kind of meal where kids and adults are arguing over who gets the last one. And so I made them a few days later for a family BBQ and they were inhaled.  I love the turkey combined with scallions, cilantro, sesame oil, ginger, and soy sauce.  It creates such a flavorful Asian-inspired dish.  I also loved the dipping sauce drizzled over the turkey meatballs.  We found it a little strong to dip in--but perfect if half the sauce was poured over them.  I know I've mentioned before that I will go weeks and usually months before repeating a dish.  But I WANT to make these again and again.  I could have them on our menu every week and not get tired of them.  And that's quite an endorsement for us!  I also paired it with this yummy Asian Cabbage salad for a full, delectable meal.

Asian Turkey Meatballs with Lime Sesame Dipping sauce from Skinnytaste.com

Servings 4 ; Size: 3 meatballs ; Weight Watchers: 7 pts+

1/4 C panko crumbs
1 1/4 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
1 egg
1 T ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C chopped fresh cilantro
3 scallions, chopped
1 T low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil

Dipping sauce
4 T low sodium soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 T fresh lime juice
2 T water
1 chopped fresh scallion.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Mix ground turkey, panko, egg, salt, scallions, ginger, cilantro, 1 T soy sauce and 2 tsp oil and mix with your hands until combined well.  Shape 1/4 cup meat mixture into a ball and transfer to a baking dish.  Repeat with remaining meat mixture.  Bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.

For the dipping sauce mix together lime juice, water, soy sauce and remaining 2 tsp of oil in a bowl.  Add scallions.  Transfer meatballs to a serving dish.  Stir sauce, then drizzle meatballs with 1 T sauce (I did half the sauce drizzled over).  Serve meatballs with remaining sauce, about 1 T per person.  Chances are you won't use all the dipping sauce.  Makes 12 meatballs.

4 comments:

Taste and Tell said...

I have meatballs on the menu for this week, but now I want to make these!!

andrea said...

Hi, I made these tonight and my family loved them! My 2 and 4 year old are in love! I added some shredded carrot to the meatballs to add extra veggies (since my kids tend to avoid them). Thank you for the lovely recipe!

Unknown said...

Just verifying...do these really bake at five hundred degrees? I don't think I've ever turned the oven up that high!

Marisa said...

Hi noelle! Yes, they do. It cooks them perfectly at that temp and slightly browns them.