Saturday, September 27, 2008

Busy Day Chicken


Okay, so I know the picture probably doesn't do this meal any justice...beings that it's white chicken and white rice and just not a whole lot of "pop" going on in the picture. But this has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. It is sooooo simple to make and is really yummy. I like to cook it slow and low--so the flavors meld together well and the rice and chicken are really moist. I would suggest not using boneless skinless chicken breasts as they tend to dry out a lot. I like using the "pick of the chick", thighs,  or just drumsticks on the bone--it adds more moisture and flavor.


1 chicken fryer cut up
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cans water (using cream of mushroom can)
1 pkg lipton dry onion soup
1 cup long grain rice (not instant)


Scatter rice on bottom of greased 9x13 pan or casserole dish. Lay pieces of chicken on top of rice, skin side up (I usually take my skin off). Mix soup, water, and onion soup. Pour over chicken. Cover with tinfoil. Bake at 325 for 2 hours. I often turn it down to like 250 and put it in after church at noonish and it's ready for an early dinner (about 3-4 hours later).

2 comments:

J said...

I've had this since childhood too! I love it and so does my family. I add a couple handfuls of shredded cheese to the rice and water.

Marisa said...

I've never tried that, Jodi. Cheese makes anything better, though, right :)?