Friday, April 20, 2012

Perfect Waffles

Last week was spring break and my husband was out of town.  So we went and stayed at my parent's house for a couple of days to shake things up.  My kiddos requested that Grandma make them waffles every morning.  Oh my.  I had forgotten how amazing my mom's waffles are!  They come from the original Betty Crocker cookbook--which I've learned has changed through the years.  All this time I was thinking I was making THE recipe I grew up with since I have a new edition.  But I was wrong.  And immediately knew it at first bite last week.  The waffles in MINE are totally different than the original cookbook.

These waffles are amazing!  They are light and fluffy and perfectly flavored.   They have that "just right" crunch on the outside with the correct softness beneath it.  The egg ratio is perfect as the whipped egg whites create so much airiness.  I'm SO happy to be reunited with this recipe.  I usually prefer pancakes over waffles--but not anymore.  I can't believe I never checked my recipe against my mom's but I thought I'd just fallen out with waffles.  But no more! Oh, and it goes amazingly well with maple syrup but even more AMAZING with buttermilk syrup.

Everyday Waffles from "The Original Betty Crocker Cookbook"

1 3/4 C flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 beaten egg yolks
1 3/4 C milk
1/2 C vegetable oil
2 stiffly beaten egg whites

Combine the dry ingredients.  In a separate bow, combine yolks, milk, and oil.  Stir into dry ingredients.  Fold in whipped egg whites leaving in a few fluffs.  Pour onto a hot waffle iron.

Buttermilk syrup:

1/2 C butter
1 C sugar
1/2 C buttermilk
1 tsp karo syrup

Bring to a boil then remove from heat.  Stir in 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp vanilla.

2 comments:

SchaeferFamily said...

Now I am going to have to check and see if I have an original recipe or not. Thought the recipes in all the cookbooks would be the same. Will have to try this one if not. Fun to see you today at Costco.

Lynn and Barbs said...

It is so rewarding to have your family enjoy your cooking and pass on fun traditions to your adorable grandchildren.